PAGES FOR THIS SITE

Sunday, November 10, 2013

Finding my way home to myself...

I can tell you a lot about my gifts and talents and accomplishments. I own them now. But recently I have come to own something additional. 

bur·den [bur-dn] noun
1. that which is carried; load: a horse's burden of rider and pack.
2. that which is borne with difficulty; obligation; onus: the burden of leadership.
3. Nautical. a. the weight of a ship's cargo. b. the carrying capacity of a ship.
4. Metallurgy. the minerals charged into a blast furnace or steel-making furnace.

My Burden: This is all the things that are true about me (mental, emotional and physical challenges) which I can manage but not change. They just are. I am 61 and am just now finally accepting MY burden, without judgment, shame or label. No longer "acting as if" they are not a part of me. I love that the definition above encompasses neutral, negative, and positive definitions (I am hoping that which I carry is like the minerals charged into a steel-making furnace!!!) The single most important outcome of the a Business Planning for Artists class with Jani Franck, has been a real clarity and acceptance of “my burden” in navigating both my professional and personal life, and the new and astonishing ways to go forward with it as a companion, and not as a monster....
(a round, several pound rock wrapped in hand-dyed cheesecloth)

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are important for me. I have changed the comment form so that you do not have to sign in with any particular ID, and you can also remain anonymous. Hope to hear from you!!! :-)