PAGES FOR THIS SITE

Thursday, October 24, 2013

Give Someone a Lily....

I haven't really talked about this much...this passion of mine to put artwork in the kinds of places people have nothing beautiful to look at. I'd like to share what I'm doing now with this idea and the synchronicity of meeting someone thousands of miles away to make a beginning.  


This July, a woman came into the small local gallery I was working in. She really admired my work, and was quite taken with one particular piece, Circles. In talking with her, I discovered she was from the Washington, D.C. area, and was the coordinator for homeless students in the Arundel Schools. As I listened I felt this surge of kinship, and said, "Can you take this piece with you, if I gave it too you?" She couldn't quite believe it, so I told her about my longing to one day to create a Give Someone a Lily non-profit group.


The story (which is not original with me) is of a woman, destitute and depressed, and struggling. One day, a  complete stranger stoped her on the street, handing her a beautiful white lily. At home she found a vase for the lily, but saw it was very dusty. She cleaned the vase and placed the beautiful lily and sparkling vase in her window. Next she noticed the dirty, smeared windows....a few minutes of hard work later, the window also sparkled....highlighting the grimy curtains. You can guess how the story continues to unfold, as the gift of that one lily transformed the woman's surroundings and finally her life. 


I told the woman in the gallery that so many artists have artwork at home, in closets and basements and studios which could be directed to homeless shelters, battered women's shelters, hospitals, nursing homes.... I wanted her to take the piece of artwork with her and place it in one of the homeless shelters in her area and tell people about "Giving Someone a Lily."


We kept getting more and more excited the longer we talked. They were traveling by car and could take the piece with them. I think placing that piece of artwork in her hands was one of the happiest moments of my life. And now she is back there using that artwork to create something there. Here is her latest e-mail:


Hi Cheryl,
I am FINALLY coming up for air.  We have over 750 kids already enrolled as homeless.  That is a 25% increase from last year. The good news is everyone wants to help with donations etc. which means a ton of organizing and that is NOT my strong point.  

I have been using your piece in my office to explain to the student and adult volunteers the theme behind circles and why you and I connected.  The Universal energy.  I also use it during talks in the community.  It has served as a wonderful motivation for people as I stress the theme of circles.  I am part of a County Movement for the Nation 100,000 Homes Project.  You piece comes with me to every meeting as all the shelter directors are at the meetings.  

We plan to move it from my office to the next shelter, Light House, during the holidays. Then in spring it goes to the next shelter, Sarah's House.  We want to also have it on display as we place people on their home along with the flowers as you suggested.I will start getting some photos for you.  

Please forgive me for my slow response....  the days and hours fly by as I put out fires..... Know that your piece, while not on the wall stationary, is moving with me and constantly motivating and inspiring people to reach out and support with a Universal cirlce of energy.

More to come!!!    Lynne


What could you do in your community with that art stacked in your hallway or closet or basement? Take another look and see if there are some pieces that could brighten places where there is no art. And thank you so much for letting me tell you about this hope of mine, to give someone a lily....Cheryl

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are important for me. I have changed the comment form so that you do not have to sign in with any particular ID, and you can also remain anonymous. Hope to hear from you!!! :-)