PAGES FOR THIS SITE

Tuesday, October 1, 2013

BUTTERFLY ALTERED BOOK inspired by Jani Frank


This is what happens to all your books if you take too many of Jani Franck's classes in creativity and the business of being a creative type successfully. (http://janifranck.co.uk/ )

This Butterfly Book started life as a big thick (740 pages) novel. I opened the book up and sprayed yellow, magenta, and cyan blue inks (yes, I did this out doors...we now have rainbow colored grass...) and then sprayed the whole thing with water. 

I let it drip and tipped it this way and that and then set out to dry the thing (essentially, in the end page by page....see what I mean....taking her courses makes you bonkers creatively, willing to do whatever it takes) with my craft heat gun, pulling and fanning pages apart. (DO NOT ask how long it took...LOL).

Okay. To make a book e--x--p--a--n--d you need to add pages. This book had 740 pages. A simple way to do this is to fold every other page in half (vertically), tucking the outside edge into the spine. That adds 370 "pages" to the book. Then I made additional folds until the "pages" next to the spine made it open into a 360 degree circle. THEN EMBELLISH :-).  I'll do a tutorial on this soon and post it.



"Bird's Eye" View of Finished Book

 

Fist Side Detail View

 

Second Side Detail View

 

Third Side Detail View

 

Fourth Side Detail View



1 comment:

  1. That is an impressive project and unique from anything I can remember seeing. Oh and beautiful . The natural world and books put together in harmony.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are important for me. I have changed the comment form so that you do not have to sign in with any particular ID, and you can also remain anonymous. Hope to hear from you!!! :-)