PAGES FOR THIS SITE

Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Handmade Paper - Process To Make Paper Jewels


Thought it might be interesting to show you a bit of my process for making my handmade papers that end up looking like those I used in Circles. The papers below the artwork are pictures of the actual papers as I processed them - I photocopied the paper at each stage.
 
 

Close-up
 
 
 
The paper shown below is the original handmade paper (about 8 x 11) I started with. It is a little hart to see but it has then been embossed on a surface I made with small the small string-like pieces that are left over after carving a stamp block. It is these raised surfaces that receive the wax in picture three.



 
This is the piece of paper over-dyed with the intense watercolor dyes from Dr. Ph. Martin - you can see the embossed "string-like" shapes. Handmade paper (unsized) soaks up watercolor in amazing ways.


This is the final piece, which has had crayon wax resist added to the raised surfaces the embossing created. I use an electric warming griddle and "paint" with the crayons as they melt, making random color combinations and then gently dip the paper into the melted wax which only adheres to the embossed (raised) parts of the paper).

 

 

In addition to this sheet, the squares shown below (about 3" x 3") were embossed on antique woodblocks used for printing cloth from Africa and India, from my personal collection, but the same three steps as above:

 

  
 

 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are important for me. I have changed the comment form so that you do not have to sign in with any particular ID, and you can also remain anonymous. Hope to hear from you!!! :-)