PAGES FOR THIS SITE

Sunday, November 17, 2013

Collage Play Time in Miniature

Hard to work in my studio on regular projects because of my neck and arm, but I am finding other ways to play while I await surgery. I am a huge Pinterest fan, and I collect ideas there to tryout.  This "Snippets" idea came from Carole at kiwicarole.blogspot.com/ (scroll down on the right side of her blog for directions to make your own "Snippet" !

Essentially you use an old wooden spool, and a long sandwich of fabrics and lace to create a surface for a tiny collage.

Wrapped up Snippet!

Shown: vintage spool, hand-dyed silk strips from another project...

 Unwrap begins!

Shown: the outside back of the strip is rescued from a tattered old, old quilt top

 Detail closeups of collage as the Snippet unroll

Shown: embroidered flowers from India Sari remnant; tiny metal tea set, Garden Tea for Two from fabric selvage, tatting label and tiny vintage tatting pieces from thrift store find...

Shown: 1898 from vintage printed magazine, morning glory from vintage dictionary, vintage elf pin missing back clasp, snippet from another tattered rescued vintage quite, puzzle piece...

Shown: Found paper word Yellow, tiny vintage metal hearts and button, stamp from Czechoslovakia, old tatting snippet, tiny hand embroidered flowers from vintage hankie, vintage paper four-leaf clover...

Shown: Scrap of paper from a vintage invoice for Buttons, small snippet from tattered, rescued vintage crazy quilt, vintage buttons, very old paper scrap illustration of sewing machine...

Shown: Small hexagon vintage fabric pieces from my grandmothers sewing box, metal thimble charm, vintage illustration of cross-stitch, Pattern # .15 from a fabric selvage, vintage quilted flower fragment.

 Shown Full Length: 34" 







4 comments:

  1. When I saw this on FB I had no idea how small - or how long it was!! It's wonderful, I can't believe how many different little pieces of things have gone into it. I find there is something very magical about found things and little bits of things, its as though they are each telling a tiny piece of a much bigger story. Oh my! I just imagined a 'library' of these in one of those old printer trays!! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Louise, You got it exactly!!! And I love the printer tray idea....with your permission I'm going to use it!!!! :-)

      Delete
  2. Wauw so cool !!
    I am sanneke , u have sent me a Card via postcrossing . Thank u for your Card . U told that your husband talks to holland via radio ? Thats pretty cool ! My grandfather ( he is dutch ) he was all in the radio to haha . But now he is to old and doesnt do it anymore . And about your salad , thats my favorite salad too :) . Thank you for your 2 nice Cards . Have a good day bye bye . ( like your blog by the way )

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Sanneke!!! So nice to connect with you! I am enjoying your blog as well. :-)

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are important for me. I have changed the comment form so that you do not have to sign in with any particular ID, and you can also remain anonymous. Hope to hear from you!!! :-)